Baccano! & Durarara!!

Sunday, March 6, 2011





While watching Durarara!!, I can't help but compare it to Baccano! Having the same creator, the storytelling and the opening styles of both series are very similar. Both series have a huge cast and both employs non-linear story telling that are told from the different perspectives of the characters. Mysteries, exaggerated and quirky personalities also abound in both series.



I especially liked that part in first episode of Baccano where St. Germain and Carol discuss the starting point of the story and candidate main characters, their conversation hints that a story can begin at any point in time - that the beginning might not be the beginning, and that there is no single "main character" in a story. I think that is a common storytelling style seen both in Baccano and Durarara. Btw, I think the way St. Germain says Carol's name is kind of cool though as it sounds so villainous (seiyuu is the legendary Norio Wakamoto!). St. Germain is probably one of the most enigmatic characters in Baccano, even more so than the "devil" in the series.

I just like animes with lots of interesting characters, and I adore a lot of the character in Baccano! - Luck, St. Germain, and Claire. The main characters in Durarara!! were not so much my type, though still pretty much interesting. Shinra's dad and the crazy red-scarfed police are my favorites, they're so weird and funny! Too bad they only appear in about two episodes.


I like both series, but I like Baccano! a bit more because Durarara!! ending is not really an ending; there just isn't enough closure on what happens to the most of the characters. Moroever, immortals and gangsters are more interesting than internet and street gangs. However, I like Durarara!!'s soundtrack a lot better than Baccano!'s (the track Akogare No Hi Nichijou is especially good!). 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger.

Claude Faustus

Claude Faustus

Panzermagier

Panzermagier
 

© 2010 Somnambulistic Spree