My Top 10 Fav Anime Opening Themes

Friday, October 29, 2010
10. Shell by Bana (Witch Hunter Robin)


I was considering having Hellsing or Boys Be's opening for the tenth spot. It's hard to decide which one I like better but for now, my mood prefers Shell so I have it on my tenth spot. I could say this song is the clearest thing I remember about this anime. I thought the anime, especially the last half, was disappointing. However, unlike the easily forgotten series, the opening theme kicks ass.

9. Ashita ni Todoke by Like Uncolored Velvet (Power Stone 2nd Op)


I still remember we had this VHS recording of various anime opening and ending themes, and I probably shortened the lifetime of the VHS and the player by rewinding this song all over again once it was done playing. Good thing there's youtube now.

8. We Were Lovers by Jean Jacques Burnel (Count of Monte Cristo)


The only English language opening theme in my list. Very very nice opening theme. I think it captures the mood which the count must have felt towards the "lover". The song is full of yearning and nostalgic thoughts, and I especially love the piano theme. The song was inspired by Chopin's Etude Op.10 No.3, one of my personal favorite Chopin piano pieces.

7. You Get To Burning by Yumi Matsuzawa (Nadesico)


I don't even like Nadesico. Yet I absolutely love this song. The only song also that has "tsu~uto tsu~uto.." as the most memorable line of a song for me.

6. Cruel Angel's Thesis by Yoko Takahashi (Evangelion)


I never fast forward this opening theme. Never. To me this theme is essentially the 90's anime theme. I prefer the Evangelion manga over the anime series, but this opening theme is one of the really good things the anime has that the manga can't provide.

5. Born Legend by Kasumi (Shadow Skill)


Very memorable and catchy tune. From the beginning to the end, the song evokes feelings of power and survival. The opening video at the beginning with the scene of Elle and Gau in black and white along with the tune of the chorus playing is just epic. I like the continuity of the tune in the chorus, it easily leaves Born Legend as my last song syndrome right after listening to it.

4. Rhythm Emotion by Two-Mix (Gundam Wing 2nd Op)


Easily the best Gundam theme for me (I've only seen 0079, Zeta, Wing, and G though; and I would say Zeta's English ver. opening is the second best, even better than Just Communication). This song kind of reminds me of You Get To Burning, especially since my fav part of both songs are the parts right before the chorus; both songs sounds like they belong to a mecha series as well.

3. Tank! by Yoko Kanno and The Seatbelts (Cowboy Bebop)


Ah this may be the coolest opening theme ever. I love the beats and the jazz trumpet tunes right at the very beginning of the song, and I just can't stop myself from anticipating the "okay, three, two, one, let's jam!" part during the earlier seconds of the song. This is another song that I don't fast forward whenever I watch the anime. Love, love, love the part where three guns pointing towards the viewer goes off one after another in time with the beats of the song.

2. Kouya Ruten by Fiction Junction Yuuka (Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto)


Eh I suddenly ran out of words to say with this one, but i fell in love with the song the moment the first few lines of the song was played wherein Kakunojo does her kabuki movements with her fan.

1. Taiyou Wa Yoru Mo Kagayaku by WINO (Hunter X Hunter 2nd Op)


Oh this is it. Translated into English, the title means "The Sun Also Shines at Night". More than six years ago, the first time I heard it I thought it was very unique; the first few lines of the song sounds like the vocalist is trying to scare the listener or something and I thought it was amusing and interesting. The more I listened to the song the more I grew fond of it until not only is it my fav Hunter X Hunter song, but has also been my fav anime song even up until now. Heck I even memorized the lyrics of the song simply by listening to it over and over again even though I didn't understand a thing the song says then. I even recall without checking (as I am sure of it) that the song is the 4th track of the Hunter X Hunter album that contains all the HxH op&ed songs. I don't understand why this opening song was never played in the local broadcast of HxH anime though. Anyway, this song is really good and my fav line in the song is 幻が踊る街に さよならの鐘が鳴る (something like "the chime of farewell echoes in the street where the illusions dance"), but the line isn't in the tv size version. The full-size version of this song is far better than the tv size version, especially since the full-size version has a long melodic bridge.


Honorable Mentions:
*all Rurouni Kenshin Op
*Hellsing Op
*Le Chevalier d'Eon Op
*Paradise Kiss Op
*Boys Be Op

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger.

Claude Faustus

Claude Faustus

Panzermagier

Panzermagier
 

© 2010 Somnambulistic Spree