Shin Megami Tensei (part 3)

Sunday, January 23, 2011
And I thought Nocturne was the best SMT game.

Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 were the last SMT/ SMT spin-off games I played in PS2. I only decided to play DDS mainly because they were the only remaining SMT PS2 games I haven't played yet, and I'm just curious how different they are from the rest of the SMT games I played. DDS doesn't seem to be as popular as the Persona series or Nocturne, so I was not really expecting anything big out of DDS. However, I was immediately impressed with DDS1 right after the first cut scene. It did not take long before I got to control the main character Serph, and the very first music that plays (Muladhara) is already one of the best game-scores I've heard. The story of DDS is pure excitement and mystery for 1 and philosophical for 2; either way, the story of DDS 1 & 2 combined is the best among the rest of SMT games I've played. Of course, it also goes that the characters are memorable and adequately developed. Game-play is similar to Nocturne in that they both utilize the remarkable press-turn system.


DDS is probably my favorite PS2 game now. I can't choose between DDS1 and DDS2; I think they are essentially the same game that was split as sequels. My only problem with DDS1&2 is the lack of customization, few side-quests and the relative shortness of each DDS game. It took me more than 60 to 70+ hours to finish each of P4, Nocturne, and Devil Summoner, but I finished DDS1&2 with 40+ hours each. Therefore, Nocturne may still be the best SMT game-play wise since it offers so much more customizations and side-quests than DDS, but I like DDS a bit more because of its memorable story, characters, and the music.

Story - the story is so good that it really should warrant an anime adaptation. Morality, karma, cycle, Hinduism, tragedy, mystery, betrayal, angst, twists, these are some of the main elements that make up the excellent plot of DDS. I like the story mainly because it's sad :P

Characters - although not every detail are revealed of the characters, one would get a fairly good idea of each characters conflicts, emotions, and beliefs (okay, maybe excluding the silent protagonist, but i think his facial expression is quite something). I like Serph, I adore Gale, I admire Argilla, I find Cielo funny, I exceedingly love Roland, and I sympathize with Heat. The only major character I dislike is Sera. 

Music - DDS 1&2's OST: Integral is the best Shoji Meguro OST in my humble opinion. Some of the best tracks in the album include Muladhara, Sahasrara, Manipura, Aurora, Spider's String Second Movement, Hunting, Lava Flow, Watercrown, The Rain Stopped, Underground City, Inherent Will, Karma, and Battle for Survival. I really could go on and on.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger.

Claude Faustus

Claude Faustus

Panzermagier

Panzermagier
 

© 2010 Somnambulistic Spree